Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting
A generation of screenwriters has used Syd Field's bestselling books to ignite successful careers in film. Now the celebrated producer/lecturer/teacher has updated his classic guide for a new generation of filmmakers, offering a fresh insider's perspective on the film industry today. From concept to character, from opening scene to finished script, here are easily understood guidelines to help aspiring screenwriters--from novices to practiced writers--hone their craft. Filled with updated material--including all-new anecdotes and insights, guidelines on marketing and collaboration, plus analyses of recent films--Screenplay presents a step-by-step, comprehensive technique for writing the screenplay that will succeed in Hollywood.
- Why the first ten pages of every script are crucial to keeping professional readers' interest
- How to visually "grab" these influential readers from page one, word one
- Why structure and character are the basic components of all narrative screenplays
- How to adapt a novel, a play, or an article into a saleable script
- Tips on protecting your work--three ways to establish legal ownership of screenplays
- Vital insights on writing authentic dialogue, crafting memorable characters, building strong yet flexible storylines (form, not formula), overcoming writer's block, and much more
Syd Field is revered as the original master of screenplay story structure, and this guide continues to be the industry's gold standard for learning the foundations of screenwriting.